Note to self:
For the video screening part of the Contemporary Artists from South Africa exhibition currently on display at Galleri 3.14 we needed to re-author a DVD. The received DVD contained a number of movies that could be selected from a menu, but for the screening we rather wanted the program to play back continuously with looping. Although I have done it before, I had forgot the steps required, and had to do some googling before figuring out how to extract the m2v and audio files from the TS_VIDEO folder of the DVD so that we could re-author the DVD without ripping as a de- and re-compressing process, loosing lots of image resolution in the process. So for next time, here’s the HOWTO:
- Download and install MPEG Streamclip.
- Open the TS_VIDEO folder of the DVD disk image. Investigate the content, looking for .vob files. The big ones are most likely the ones you want.
- Drag one of the .vob files across the MPEG Streamclip interface
- Choose File > Demux > Demux to M2V and AIFF. If you suspect audio content to me AC3, you should Demux to M2V and AC3 instead.
- Select where to save, and take a coffe while it process the .vob file.
- You’ll end up with a pair of .m2v and .aif (or .ac3) files that can be imported into DVD Studio Pro. You will have lost no quality in the process a s compared to the DVD you started from.
The above most likely won’t work with copy-protected DVD content, at least I have never checked to see if it do work.